Wednesday, January 10, 2007

BLACK-EYED PEAS?

I know that there are A LOT of things that I do and/or say simply because I lived the majority of my life in the south. However, I REALLY thought that everyone ate black-eyed peas and cabbage as a traditional New Year's Eve/Day meal. But this year I discovered, after several odd looks and weird laughs from friends, that this is a southern tradition ONLY. Black-eyed peas are believed to bring good luck and cabbage to bring money, although my family never bought into the superstition - we just ate it as tradition.

I researched and found lots of information (some of it rather gross, in my opinion) about New Year's food traditions. Are any of these foods tradition in your home?

Noodles, Sauerkraut, Grapes, Pickled Herring,
Boiled Cod, Beets, or Donut-like Fritters

No comments: